Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Founded in 1956, Shanghai University of TCM, which was named Shanghai TCM College at the beginning, is one of the first four TCM higher education institutes since the foundation of the People’s Republic of China. Adhering to the motto of “Diligence, Benevolence, Truth, Innovation”, the university inherits profound cultural legacy, strives to deliver high quality programs of unique strength, and pays great attention to clinical practice. The University regards academic and moral education as its fundamental mission, and promotes collaborative development of education, research and clinical service. In 1985, Shanghai Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine was founded under the same management system with the university. In 1993, the name of Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine was officially taken. In 2000, Shanghai Medical Vocational School was consolidated with the university. In 2003, the university was relocated to Zhangjiang Hi-tech Park in Pudong New Area. Over the past 60 years, the university has always been home to many distinguished doctors. The education strategy emphasizing solid mastery of TCM knowledge and practice along with deep understanding of modern science and traditional Chinese culture has achieved remarkable results. The university takes close heed of frontier TCM technology and the critical demand of the country and continues to strengthen international exchange & cooperation. The University currently has 8 affiliated hospitals. It is also a high-caliber university prioritized by the Municipality and co-sponsored by the Ministry of Education. In 2017, the programs of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Chinese Materia Medica were selected in the National Initiative for Developing Top-notch Programs. In the fourth round of evaluation conducted by the Ministry of Education, 3 programs including TCM, Chinese Materia Medica and Integrative Medicine were graded A+. In welcoming the new era, the university will strive to become a world-class TCM university, which stresses excellence in both specialty disciplines and general ranking, and gives equal emphasis to inheritance and innovation, modernization & internationalization, giving full play to the power of TCM.
Academic Year & Curricula
This program is consisted of 5 academic years, 3 trimesters in each year.
Curriculum (280 Credits）
· Normal Human Anatomy
· TCM Basic Theory
· Chinese Materia Medica
· Formulas of Chinese Herbal Medicine
· Introduction to TCM Classics
· Basics of Physiology
· Basics of Pathology
· Acupuncture and Moxibustion Technique
· Basics of Diagnostics
· TCM Diagnotics
· Basics of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine
· Internal Medicine
· External Medicine
· Chinese Internal Medicine
· Chinese External Medicine
· Gynecology in Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine
· Pediatrics in Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine
These include classroom lectures, group discussions, bedside teaching, simulated demonstration, practical training and social practice. The teaching will highlight the training on students’ self-learning ability. Most lectures will take place in the Zhangjiang Campus, most clinical internship and probation will take place in the affiliated hospitals.
Graduation and Academic Degree
A Bachelor of Medical Science will be awarded upon completion of
● Required credits all courses in the teaching scheme
● General points average (GPA)
● Pass of all examinations
Type of class
Independent class of minimum 15 students (Applicants might be asked to transfer to the other English taught major if recruits of this program are less than 15 by the end of April.)
December 1st 2019 – June 15th 2020
Opening of Program
September, 2020 (Please see the date on Admission Notice)
· High school graduation or above
· Requirements for English language
(a) Studied courses taught in English language and transcripts required
(b) >90 of TOEFL or >6 of IELTS (non-native English speakers)
· Applicants emigrating from mainland China, Hongkong, Macao or Taiwan must hold a valid foreign citizenship for no less than 4 years and a record of residency in the country for no less than 2 years in the most recent 4 years.
· 450 RMB per person for application
· 42,000 RMB per year per person for tuition
· Purchase fee for textbooks
· Accommodation Fee
Live on campus: Please see Introduction of International Student’s Dormitory (Attachment 2). Notice of the accommodation arrangement will be sent out in middle July. (The accommodation fee may fluctuate).
Live off-campus: Students can live off-campus upon approval by the University and pay on your own.
· High school diploma
· Scan of the passport (valid for 6 months after date of submission)
· Invoice of the application fee
· Copy of TOEFL or IELTS examination results (no requirement for native speakers).
· ID Photo:
Rename the file: Your passport number.jpg
Background:White in color and no frame
Resolution: ≥ 320*240 pixels
Other Requirements: Bareheaded，passport photo quality and format
Notice: This digital file must be of 100-500 KB
Notice: The photo will be used for your student ID card. Please make sure the photo is exactly as above requirements.
The aforementioned documents need to be submitted online at http://apply.shutcm.edu.cn before the deadline. Please do not send any document via email. The application will not be processed if the documents are incomplete or sent by email. Applicants may need to submit supplementary documents when the Admission Office requires. Extra notice might be given to applicants who are required to provide individual financial documents. Supplementary documents can be uploaded under the item “Additional Materials” (see the online application webpage.)
Qualified applicants will receive admission letters and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202 form) from SHUTCM.
Given any following condition, application fees are not refunded:
· Rejected applications due to incomplete documents
· Disqualified applications
· Students voluntarily withdraw
● Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship
Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship for international students shall be delivered according to relevant documents including Regulations on Application of Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students. Applicants must also complete the online application on Study-in-Shanghai (http://study.edu.sh.gov.cn/en/) besides applying on the school website. Application fee only needs to be paid once. For more information, please see Attachment 3.
● University Scholarships
· Major-specific Scholarship (See Attachment 4)
· Others (Please contact us for more details)
Shanghai Government Scholarship applicants are required to submit Foreigner Physical Examination Form (see Attachment 5) orPhysical Examination Form for Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship Applicants of SHUTCM International Students (see attachment 6). Please bring hard copies of Foreigner Physical Examination Form to SHUTCM for registration. Applicants with chronic diseases must notify the school before registration. Please confirm with the school before submitting application if clarification is needed regards entry requirements for applicants with health issues.
● Venue: Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine International Education College, 2nd Floor, Admission Office
● Address: Number 1200 Cai Lun Road, Pudong Area, Shanghai.
● Telephone: (86 21) 51322255; Fax: (86 21) 51322285
● Email: email@example.com
● University Bank Account:
Account Name: Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Bank Name: Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Dong’an Road Branch
Bank Address: No.520, Wan Pin Nan Rd., Shanghai, China 200032
Account No. : 1001239109004636961
SWIFT CODE: ICBKCNBJSHI
CNAPS Code: 102290023910
3. Regulations on Application of Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students
4. Rules of Implementation of Major-Specific Scholarship for International Students (Taught in English) of SHUTCM